Friday, June 27, 2008

When I grow up ...

Two weeks ago, I was in London. I'd gone down to press pass issue 2 of the magazine (yeah, like I know what I'm doing). The yellow on the page looked a bit more mustard than it should so I asked if they could "fix it". They added a bit more blue, but it threw the complexion of the guy in the photo way off, so we went back to the mustard and I stopped making suggestions in favour of smiling and nodding.

Anyway, I got finished up at the printers earlier than expected so I headed back to City Airport. Unfortunately, I'd foolishly booked myself on a cheaper ticket and couldn't change it. Three hours to kill and not a BA lounge in sight. "Dammit", I thought to myself, "I'm going to have to pay for my own drinks." I walked up to the bar and ordered myself a margarita (a steal at only £8.50). I took it through to the new (but not business) lounge and sat down.

I was due to participate in an audio call to the US about issue 3 and had to dial in from my mobile. After the call, I laughed myself silly for a full 10 minutes because it was almost exactly the kind of fantasy grown-up scenario I imagined when I was a kid. When I was about 10 or 11, high on Dynasty and 80s hedonism, I used to pretend I ran an international magazine and that I was always jetting about making important phone calls. So OK, it's not Vogue (nor anything like it), and it was City Airport and not New York, but still! It's not bad. If my 10-year old me, had been watching the now-me, I think she would have thought 'that's what I want to be' (except thinner, better looking and more glamorous - obviously).

That little recollection got me to thinking about the fantasy job I had before that. Yes people, I was the proud owner of a skateboard repair shop, which I operated out of the hut in our back garden. It was like being a mechanic ... but just for skateboards. The repairs were pretty limited to be honest - tightening or slackening the wheels. However, I was ambitious and subsequently branched out into skateboard design. Unfortunately, none of my imaginary customers ever commissioned a design, but there was a lot of critical acclaim (in my head - and the newspaper articles I used to write up). I'm going to stop now because it justs get more and more sad.

I did have friends as a kid. I think. And I definitely never hurt any pets. Honest.

No comments: