Monday, January 30, 2006

Good week, bad driving

After one of the most hectic, stress-threatening yet undeniably exhilirating weeks since my university days, I am on a well-deserved high. Ridiculously tight deadlines all met (client suitably impressed), 'disappointed' boss somewhat happier (she returned my greeting of 'Good Morning' on three occasions last week), requests to do freelance writing in addition to my new 'day' job (extra cash potential is massive), good party on Friday night (the gang was all there), recovery on Saturday wasn't too painful, and Sunday was both indulgent and relaxing.

Driving home from work on Friday, I was waiting behind another car to turn off Leith Walk and into McDonald Road. The car in front had, in my opinion, overshot the junction. Everyone makes mistakes, so I didn't pay too much attention and continued singing along to 'Tennage Kicks' on the radio. The lights turned red to halt the flow of traffic coming down Leith Walk and we were free to make our move into McDonald road. Annoyingly, the car in front didn't move. Problem: when the lights turn red, you have mere moments before the other traffic starts moving and collides with you. The car still wasn't moving so I (not having overshot the junction) made a split second decision to undercut it. Needless to say, as I made my move the car in front started to swing back in and the driver, finding my car beside his in the same side of the road, slammed on the brakes and peeped his horn quickly and repeatedly.

Seconds later, I came upon the traffic calming measures on McDonald road. I, again, found myself behind another car as we waited for a break in the flow of traffic from the other direction. The car in front made its move and I followed only to be peeped at again by a car speeding towards me.

Two peeps in almost as many seconds. That hasn't happened since I crossed a road on a windy day in Leith wearing my ridiculously short charcoal kilt, black micro-fishnet stockings and red lacy knickers. Verdict: on both occasions I was asking for it.

Alasdair, Sam, Louise and Anotnio's belated Burns' Night celebration on Friday evening was a resounding success. The haggis, neeps and tatties were all cooked to perfection and the water of life flowed freely. There was a good turnout too and I found myself happily chatting with Tim, Keith, Alasdair, Zoe and Cedric before Katie and her new man - Marc - turned up and I chatted to them. I also met Katie's ex-boyfriend Kenny for the first time, as did her new boyfriend (Marc) - ooooh the drama! Alex was there too - talking about his sexual exploits and ex-girlfriends.

Saturday and Sunday were mellow and largely people-free. I did my own thing on both days with almost no interruptions. Sheer heaven!

Let's just hope my driving improves this week or Heaven may become an everyday thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to know why you went out dressed like a hooker? Are you being serious or claiming artistic licence?

Anonymous said...

You have been guilty of some rather crazy driving moves in the past you big German. Didn't you deliberately drive at someone in Kirkcaldy once?

Anonymous said...

Who are all these people?

Lucky Duck said...

We're all merely actors on the stage of life. Who are you? Seriously, they're friends I met through Katie (an old school friend I've known since I was 4). Basically, Katie and I lost contact after high school and bumped into each other on Annandale Street one day. We went out for tapas, had a great laugh and became friends. It turns out that Katie knows just about everyone in the world and now I know a lot of them too. They're all fantastically brillant folk.