Thursday, January 19, 2006

Business busyness

Not so easy to say when sober, which I am - for a change. As the title cleverly suggests (hey, I'm getting good at this writing stuff), my working week has been busy. Maybe I'm being punished for last Friday's frightfully lethargic performance. I certainly hope so because I deserve it.

I finally got to hand in my notice this week. It did not go down well. My boss said she was "very disappointed in me". Of course she is. She's disappointed that I finally motivated myself to take my 'career' seriously enough to realise that my present situation is shit and is never going to change - unless, of course, I get off my arse and change it myself; which I have - hence the handing in of the notice. Now my four week notice period will be spent making trips down to the scary basement and filing her corns. Ewwwww!

Today I was out of the office working with a major client. I had to interview the MD and two of the Regional MD's as well as organise some 'quirky' photography. It all went very well and I was pleased to be able to secure Tim's photography expertise. Tim is a friend of a friend's brother and it was nice to be able to give him some work. Cronyism - in my world - is a very, very good thing. Hey, January is a long, (climatically and financially) cold month and if I can throw some cash a friend's way it gives me a lovely warm glow inside (at least I'm pretty sure that's what gives me the glow. Mind you, I did spend most of my formative years in the vicinity of a power station - not nuclear though. Hmmmm).

Just before lunch, I found myself having to get assertive with a very rude designer. Designers can be so bloody precious about their ideas, and I understand that I know nothing about design aesthetics but there really was no need for her to be so rude. I made a SUGGESTION - a CASUAL one - and she reacted as if I had just told her I'd enjoyed the fois gras of a human baby for lunch. We proceeded to enter into a female pissing contest - which differs from the male version in that we continue to smile sweetly, bat our eyelids and speak very softly. She was so rude though, that I had to actually sit up straight in my chair. I was suitably forceful (which doesn't usually happen outside of the bedroom) and spoke confidently from behind the protective shield of my pink pashmina(*). Oh yes, behold the power of the pashmina(*)!

(*) I would like to point out that I am not, and have never been, a member of the 'yah' party.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh! A pashmina! A pink one. You're worse than a 'yah', you're a wannabe 'yah' fi Fife. May God have mercy on your soul. You told me about this, wasn't the designer the one with the glass eye who you wanted to say "right, Columbo" to when she was annoying you? Don't edit all the bitchy stuff out to make yourself sound nicer. We all know the real you and how sharp your claws are.
All those in favour of the 'bitchy' stuff say "aye".

Lucky Duck said...

Whilst, admittedly, slightly unkind, bitchy things do pop into my pretty little head on occasion, I do not suffer from Tourette's syndrome and am therefore (largely) in control of these.