Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The trouble with wellies

On Tuesday morning I opened my email at work. There was a note from my manager entitled 'Areas of improvement'. I knew it wasn't going to be good. This is what it said:

"It has recently been brought to my attention that there are certain areas of company policy that you are not following sufficiently.

Dress Code

1) Wellies are not permitted - even on casual Friday.
2) Stripey or excessively patterned tights are not permitted.
3) Crimped hair is not permitted
4) Generally, your dress on business days is too casual. Sometimes your tops are cut too low and your skirts are too short. This is not professional and does not create the right impression.

Organisation & Planning

Although you always get all your work done on time and to an exceptionally high standard, you are not organised in the way you go about it.

Please do all you can to remedy these points as soon as possible."

Oh my God. How ridiculous is that? I was stunned. There's nothing in the rules about crimped hair, patterened tights or even wellies. It's all at the manager's discretion. Admittedly, the wellies I wore the previous Friday on dress-down day may have been pushing it, but it's not like they're mucky, farm boots. They're knee-high, red rubber boots and they looked fab. The child in me now wants to find a pair of knee-high, red leather boots and wear those instead.

I immediately sent an email back, in which I stated that I believed I was one of the best put-together people in the whole department. There are a few people who wear the same clothes everyday (including the same shirt/blouse) - gross!

I went on: "One of the many problems with this company is that there are far too many people who concern themselves with being overly organised and not enough people capable of creative or independent thought. I have a different way of working, but if the job is done on time and to a satisfactory standard I don't believe there's a problem."

They continually tell me that they love the fact I'm different, but try to iron this out at every opportunity. The book is now open on how long I'll last.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corporate shite. I remember it well. Come and work for LJMU, the perks are much better.

Lucky Duck said...

Apparently so.

Anonymous said...

It has also just occurred to me that shouldn't the email have been entitled 'Areas FOR Improvement', not OF? Perhaps you should send one back advising that his/her grammar could use some work.