Thursday, November 16, 2006

Au revoir Ambassador

Apparently the Ambassador isn't having a dinner party this year.

He's packed up and gone, without even the hint of a goodbye. I must say, I never expected such bad manners from an old-school gent of the Ambassador's calibre. And what do we have in his place? Some Bondesque silhouettes vaulting GM Ferrero Rocher to a Cilla Black tune (no, not Surprise Surprise - though I think that might have been more fitting. The unexpected certainly hit me between the eyes. That's the surprise you see ... enough).

Yes it's much cooler, but I loved the cheese. Besides, there's no conclusion to the Ambassador's story. I mean, did he die? At one of his renowned parties? Admittedly, his character was severely under-developed, but I would have at least liked some conclusion. Now I'll be forever wondering whether or not anyone ever said: "Monsieur, with these Ferrero Rocher you are really taking de piss."

Everyone's gone Bond this season. What about that M&S ad? Twiggy, snowmobiles, Ice Bars and Dame Shirley doing Pink - fantastic.With this advert M&S are really spoiling us. That said, I still don't get the story of Twiggy and the younger models. I voiced this at work earlier this week. Anne assures me they're all just friends, but I'm not convinced. To me, and I've thought this from the very first ads, there's just something slightly off about Twiggy and all those younger women. I see Twiggy as a Fagin type character overseeing her younger charges. I think they're thieves. The new ad just proves that they've exhausted the pockets and purses of the American tourists on the London buses and have moved on to bigger and better things. High class jewel thieves - that's what they've graduated to. I tell you, Dame Shirley left the ice bar sans earrings that night! Twiggy? A jewel thief mastermind? Who'd have thought it?

1 comment:

Lucky Duck said...

I think that might be closer to the mark acutally. Talking of 'dudes too weird to get it for free', I'm loving the proximity of my new address to a sauna. The amount of guys getting out of flash cars and heading inside is staggering and gross - especially given how young and malnourished the girls going inside look. And dry heat is supposed to be good for one's constitution?

I'm wondering if I can take pictures of their vehicles and then blackmail them. My friend Kerry suggested setting up a website entitled 'wevisithookers.com'. I'm liking it.