Monday, April 03, 2006

The vodka monster returneth

Why am I such a weirdo when I'm drunk? Why, why, why, why, why?

Ok, so what I didn't say, when I was blogging for the love of tea on Saturday, was that I was quietly dying and (less quietly) wretching my sorry little soul out. Whilst it is indeed true that the arrival of the teapot was my favourite part of Friday night, I neglected to mention that I later welcomed the arrival of Queen Mother (God rest her soul) quantities of gin and even more vodka.

What I learned today, when I finally turned up at work, was that I am no ordinary drunk. Oh no baby! Not for me the crying nor the fighting nor even the sexual deviance of normal inebriated beings. Oh no, when I get pished I ... wait for it ... interview people; random strangers - about all manner of things.


How bizarre is that?

Apparently, I spent large parts of Friday evening dancing my way over to complete strangers whereupon, I'm told, I whipped out a pad and pen and began asking them - like some kind of demented Joseph Rowntree - about their jobs, their relationships, their health, and their feelings on the sorry state of Italy.

On Sunday evening, I had been puzzled to discover that my notebook was full of complete and utter pish I couldn't explain, so at least my colleagues' playful jests helped clear that one up. The notebook also contains around 20 email addresses next to which I've written: "Email with voucher for free meal." "Oh, that's right", said one of my colleagues, "you told everyone you interviewed that they'd get a free meal courtesy of Le Monde."


I am, of course, disturbed by this behaviour because it is truly class A, nutjob stuff, but I find it even more worrying that a significant number of people actually entertained what must have been the incoherent ramblings of a total steamer.

Never again, I promise, promise, promise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that if you only learn one thing in life, it should be this - gin and vodka together are a very, very bad thing. I have passed out only twice in my life - once with the pain of a broken collar bone (thankyou Tina McManus and your damn hockey stick), and once courtesy of an evening in the company of Miss Gin and Mister Vodka.

Your only consolation is that your interviewees can only have been more pished than you.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I have had similar experiences with energy drinks and alcohol. I am a very curious person by nature. When you add the upper and the downer together, it makes me think the strangest things... like you said, nutjob stuff.

Anonymous said...

I think your a fucking loser..get a life and quit annoying people..you should consider yourself lucky that you didn't happen to hassle me.