Saturday, March 18, 2006

Lights, camera, exfoliation

The job continues to go well and I've been tasked with a couple of meaty and interesting projects. After scripting and producing my team's take on Big Brother for the departmental away day, we shot the video last Tuesday night after work. Everybody got into the spirit of things and brought along great props - wine bottles, sunglasses, even a little silver suitcase. Yvonne shared her husband's reaction when she had told him she'd be working late on Tuesday night as she picked up her overnight bag complete with dressing gown stuffed in. My colleague Lisa was playing Davina and totally blew us away. She ad-libed her way through the interviews like a true pro and really brought the proceedings to life. We used the lift doors to portray us leaving the big brother house and even had the papparazzi waiting - complete with flashing digital cameras.

The real work comes in with overhauling my department's pages on the company website and re-thinking a particular suite of literature that isn't being used to full effect. Time will tell whether this goes as well as my film production talents.

I thought my week was off to a bad start when I rushed up to donate blood and was told that my flow was "a bit slow today," but that they were sure they'd "be able to do something with it." As the guy took the needle out of my arm and lifted up the bag of blood I'd offered, I was embarrassed to see that there was almost nothing there. I apologised for my crapness and the guy told me it was a simple case of self-preservation and not to bother stressing myself. But still, I thought it was a worrying sign. On Monday night I cooked dinner for my aunt and uncle in their flat. It was a really good night and I enjoyed chatting to them. It's nice to be able to have a friendship like that with family members. On Wednesday night, I was off to Sygn again for food and drinks with Mog and Debs. It was great catching up with Debs because I hadn't seen her since well before Christmas. On Thursday, my mum took me out for dinner before we went off to view some flats. She really liked the one I like, so it's just a question of whether I have enough money to do anything about it.

By Friday, I was knackered so it was a night of quiet bliss. I treated myself to an Indian takeaway, scoffed it and immediately regretted so when I discovered my ability to move had been seriously impaired. I swear that stuff expands and swells as soon as it makes contact with my stomach. Since I clearly wasn't going anywhere in a hurry, I read this week's Economist until I fell asleep. There was an interesting article on the lack of burial space in Britain (see previous entry).

Something fantastic happened while I was having my Decleor facial on Saturday morning. As well as the darkened room, soothing music and pleasing aromatherapy oils, the beauty therapist actually tackled my blackheads. It was the ultimate indulgence; lying there in a blissful state of utter relaxation and having someone attend to the needs of my individual pores.

Hopefully this rejuvenating experience will give my tired body the kick-start it needs to get through next week. If not, I don't think I'll be donating much blood, sweat or tears anytime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Big Brother video presentation? I thought your new job was supposed to be formal and rigid. Is there no place of work you can't turn into a circus? Fannying-about - you said it hen!