Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Paradise Baby

Spent the last two days exploring the island of Aitutaki - firstly inland on our mopeds and then on the water courtesy of a lagoon cruise.

It was brilliant touring on the bikes and we kept stopping off for quality photo opportunities. I didn't even realise the sun was out but soon discovered that I had a nice red v on my chest and some strap marks.

That night we drove to Cafe Tapuna which is one of the nicer eateries on the island. It's a little bit out of the way, but I had a quick look at the map and was convinced I could get us there. We set off and I felt cool as anything. Going along on my moped with my pink capris, white t-shirt, white headband and big shades.

After a little detour, we arrived safe and sound. It was lovely with lots of little fairy lights and set in what felt like the middle of the jungle. I had tiger prawn and scallop kebabs with a lime, mango and fennel dressing - totally ace. I couldn't resist having a desert too - brandy baked banana (totally sublime). Shin wanted a beer and I didn't fancy a whole bottle of vino to myself again so I ordered a rum and coke. I think it had about 3 measures in it - nearly blew my head off.

Oh well, back on the bikes. By now it was totally dark and it felt really exciting. This only made me feel even cooler than I already did. 20 mins later we were back at the beach hut. "Lis, you're hilarious on that bike." "What do you mean?" "You're all upright and straight like ... Miss Jean Brodie." "Miss Jean Brodie??? That's not cool at all. I thought I looked all cool." "Well. maybe like Penelope Pitstop then." "Oh that's cooler. We'll go with that."

On the lagoon cruise yesterday. It was fantastic and way better than I thought it would be. We did some snorkelling and I fed the fish. Shinbob was a big woose and was squealing and stuff. Then Kimi, our guide, took us to the Giant Clam and said we could tickle it. We were ending ourselves, but we did it. It was really slimy and pulsed a lot when you touched it. Ha ha.
We sailed onto One Foot Island which was total paradise on earth. Nothing I've seen comes close to how perfect it was. Absolutely amazing. The stuff of dreams.

Puna's wife (Puna is the tour operator by the way. Kimi the driver is his brother) cooked the most fantastic lunch ever. There was yellow fin tuna steaks, potato salad, coleslaw, vegetable frittatas, and these amazing banana pancakes. Honestly, it was better than any of the restaurants on the island. I was trying to convince her to open up on her own or at least write a cook book. I told Puna when we got back and he was all proud of his wife. It was totally lovely.
We took our passports to the post office on One Foot Island and got them stamped. It's soooo cool.

There was a really annoying Dutch woman on the boat and a Swedish mum who stripped naked to put on her bikini, but I'll Shin fill you in on that as her rendition is hilarious. My shocking tan marks were commented on by everyone. Shin got all protective of me and said: "I don't think it needs to be spoken about at every opportunity." The irritating Dutch woman asked if I had my sunblock sarcastically. Sinead said: "I'm going to ask her if she's got a plastic surgeon's phone number!"

Right, off to go find some bread so I can make poached eggs for breakfast. Woo hoo!

No comments: